Bears Rally Falls Short

Louis DePaolis
Louis DePaolis

NEW LONDON, Conn. - Led by sophomore Pat Coll, who had a game high seven goals, Merchant Marine used a second quarter scoring burst to down Coast Guard 16-13 in nonconference action.

With the win the Mariners (1-0) gain one point in the race for the Superintendents Cup, making the score 8-6 in favor of the Bears (1-1). 

Coast Guard was led by senior Louis DePaolis who had three goals and an assists while freshman Ian Logan had three goals. Depaolis now has a team high eight points on seven goals and one assist while the three goals for Logan were his first collegiate goal and hat trick.

Coll led the way for Merchant Marine with five of his seven goals in the first half. He also tacked on an assist to give him eight points in the teams season opener. Freshman Jack Renard had five goals in his college debut while sophomore Nick Treon had two goals and two assists.

The Mariners jumped out to an early two goal lead as Renard and Coll each scored goals in the first five minutes of play giving them a 2-0 advantage.

The Bears answered right back with goals from freshman Benner Geurtsen and DePaolis tying the score at two with 8:51 left to play in the first quarter. The team traded goals in the final three minutes of the period making the score 3-3.

After both teams scored to start off the second quarter, Coast Guard took their first lead of the game midway through the period as Logan put the Bears on top with his first collegiate goal making the score 5-4 with 9:39 to go in the first half.

Merchant Marine took control of the game after Logan's goals, as they rattled off five consecutive goals including two man up goals giving them a 9-5 lead. Coll tallied three goals and an assist over this stretch.

The teams swapped goals at the end of the second quarter making the first half score 10-6 in favor of the Mariners.

Coast Guard went right to work at the beginning of the third quarter as freshman Colin Cashin won the opening faceoff and found junior Blaise Curtis with a pass. Curtis then hit an open DePaolis who fired a shot into the back of the net just seven seconds into the second half.

Just over a minute later freshman Jack Pope took a pass from senior Trent Moon and ripped a shot into the upper left corner cutting the deficit to two at the 13:31 mark.

Merchant Marine would push their lead back to four at the end of the third quarter however, and the Bears would cut the lead to two again at the start of the fourth quarter but could not climb any closer as the Mariners improve to 2-0 against Coast Guard in NCAA games.

Sophomore Kurt Caminske got the start in net making four saves and allowing 10 goals dropping his season record to 1-1. Freshman Trey Johnson relieved Caminske in the second half making six saves, five in the third quarter, and allowing six goals.

Senior Kevin Young (1-0) earned the win for Merchant Marine making 13 saves and allowing 13 goals. 

Cashin was 12-27 on face offs with four ground balls while freshman Charlie Hughes was 17-32 with three ground balls for the Mariners. Senior Jeff Bors and DePaolis each had a game high five ground balls while Renard had five ground balls as well for Merchant Marine.

Coast Guard was able to win the ground ball (39-31) and turnover (17-11) battles but the Mariners were able to take advantage of extra-man opportunities converting 3-5 chances.

The Bears are back in action on March 9th, as they travel south to Randolph-Macon for a nonconference game. Opening face off is 3:30.