Women’s soccer suffers 1-0 setback to Nichols

Women’s soccer suffers 1-0 setback to Nichols

NEW LONDON, Conn.-The Coast Guard women's soccer team fell 1-0 to Nichols College on Tuesday night. For the Bears (2-4-0), it was their second 1-0 defeat in as many games, while Nichols (2-2-0) was able to post their first shutout of the season.

The Bears came out in full attack to open the match on their way to out-shooting Nichols 10-3 in the first half and gaining a 5-0 edge in corner kicks. Despite only putting one shot on target, Coast Guard hit the post twice and had another ball hit off the crossbar. Freshman Terry Netusil was all over the place in the match, making her presence felt on both ends of the field.

The first scoring chance for Coast Guard came in the 28th minute when sophomore Caroline Eastman broke free after a beautiful through ball played by Lindsay Duplessis but was unable to catch up to it before Nichols' junior goalkeeper Sarah Whitestone came in to swoop it away.

Less than a minute later Eastman settled a pass from freshman Katie Clark but banged it off the crossbar. The ball ricocheted right back to Eastman who's second attempt went wide and the score remained deadlocked at 0-0.

Nichols struck first in the 52nd minute when freshman Natalie Dawes collected a rebound off junior Alyssa Tosti's shot that hit the crossbar and punched it in passed the outstretched arms of a sprawled out Moore.

Coast Guard had plenty of opportunities in the second half as the Bison defense bent but didn't break numerous times. In the 87th minute, Clark hit the fourth post of the game for the Bears who were a mere inches from a completely different game about a half dozen times.

Perhaps the best chance of the night came in the 89th minute when the Bears were awarded a penalty kick following a hand ball inside the 18-yard box. Netusil's attempt was saved by Whitestone who made a diving stop to her left on the low-flying shot.

For the match, Coast Guard out-shot Nichols 29-6 including a 12-2 advantage in attempts on goal. The Bears also held and edge in fouls (10-5) and corner kicks (7-1).

Whitestone made 12 saves in goal for the Bison to secure their second shutout win over the Bears in as many seasons. Moore made one save for Coast Guard whose defense almost completely shut down Nichols.

Head Coach Susan Grant was pleased with elements of the game for the Bears but did have some thoughts on what they could do to improve. "I thought we did some nice stuff possessing the ball and getting some strong chances on goal," she said, before continuing on to say that, "moving forward we need to work to finish the opportunities that we work so hard to create."

The Bears will return to action on Tuesday, September 16th when they host Mass. Maritime at 7:00 pm.