NEW LONDON, Conn.--The Coast Guard men's tennis team secured a 6-3 victory against Connecticut College in match played on the Conn. College campus Wednesday.
The Bears improved their record to 6-2 with the win, while the Camels fell to 3-6 in the setback.
Freshman Tom Hackett rallied to take a 3-6, 6-2, 6-4 victory at number two singles for the Bears. Senior Robert Renfrow posted a comeback win of his own at third singles, battling back in a 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 triumph for Coast Guard. Sophomore Mike Melampy and freshman Jack Phillips joined forces to take an 8-3
Senior Jonathan Kraiger topped senior Mark Guentert in a 6-2, 6-1 straight set victory at number one singles for the hosts. Kraiger has defeated his opponent in the past four matches to lead the Camels. At number one doubles, Kraiger and Ben Sachs secured an 8-6 victory for Connecticut College.
Junior Daniel Maffa and freshman Charlie Williams contributed with an 8-5 win at number two doubles for Connecticut College.
Coast Guard 6, Connecticut College 3
Mar 29, 2016 at Connecticut College South Tennis Courts
1. Jonathan Kraiger (CC) def. Mark Guentert (CG) 6-2, 6-1
2. Tom Hackett (CG) def. Charlie Williams (CC) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Robert Renfrow (CG) def. Daniel Maffa (CC) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Weston Fortna (CG) def. Will Cannon (CC) 6-3, 5-7, 6-0
5. Mike Melampy (CG) def. Ben Sachs (CC) 6-2, 6-3
6. John Hu (CG) def. Ethan Hecker (CC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Kraiger/Sachs (CC) def. Guentert/Fortna (CG) 8-6
2. Maffa/Williams (CC) def. Ben Errington/Hackett (CG) 8-5
3. Melampy/Jack Phillips (CG) def. James Wright II/Cannon (CC) 8-3