WORCESTER, Mass.-The Coast Guard won two out of three doubles matches on Thursday afternoon to secure a 5-4 nail-biter over Clark in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference men's tennis action. The two sides split in singles, each winning three matches and the Bears won at #1 and #2 doubles to earn the victory.
The victory moves Coast Guard to 5-9 on the season and evens their NEWMAC record to 3-3 while Clark falls to 11-7 and 2-3 in NEWMAC play.
Sophomores Robert Renfrow, Mark Guentert, and Weston Fortna all claimed straight-set victories in number one, two, and three singles action, respectively. The number one doubles pairing of Guentert and Fortna as well as the number two pairing of Renfrow and junior Alex Mead also claimed victories on the day.
Coast Guard will return to action when they take on Roger Williams on Tuesday, April 22nd at 4:00 pm to wrap up the non-conference slate.
- Robert Renfrow (CGA) def. Dan Stein (Clark) 6-4, 6-2
- Mark Guentert (CGA) def. Antoine Martin (Clark) 6-1, 6-3
- Weston Fortna (CGA) def. Spencer Pinkney (Clark) 6-4, 6-0
- Fernando Pinoargote (Clark) def. Alex Mead (CGA) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6
- Zack Goodstein (Clark) def. Jon Lightner (CGA) 6-1, 6-4
- Joel Simonson (Clark) def. Townshend Hirst (CGA) 6-0, 6-4
- Guentert/Fortna (CGA) def. Stein/Goodstein (Clark) 9-8
- Renfrow/Mead (CGA) def. Martin/Pinoargote (Clark) 8-4
- Pinkney/Josh Burger (Clark) def. Lightner/Hirst (CGA) 8-0