NEW LONDON, Conn.-The Coast Guard tennis team won at number one and two singles as well as number one doubles but it wasn't enough as the Bears dropped a 6-3 decision to Conn. College on Thursday afternoon. The loss drops the Bears to 2-5 on the season while the Camels improve to 4-1 with the victory.
Sophomores Robert Renfrow (6-4, 6-4) and Mark Guentert (6-1, 6-2) both earned straight set victories at number one and two singles, respectively. Classmate Weston Fortna (2-6, 6-4, 2-6) suffered a hard-fought three-set defeat at number three singles.
On the doubles side, the pairing of Guentert and Fortna earned an 8-6 victory at number one while the duo of Renfrow and junior Alex Mead dropped a heart-breaker by a count of 7-9 at number two doubles.
Coast Guard returns to action on Saturday, March 29th when they host Wheaton in their New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference opener at 1pm.
- 1. Robert Renfrow (CGA) def. Josh Suneby (Conn.) 6-4, 6-4
- 2. Mark Guentert (CGA) def. JC Cangelosi (Conn.) 6-1, 6-2
- 3. Jonathan Kraiger (Conn.) def. Weston Fortna (CGA) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
- 4. Jonathan Deeter (Conn.) def. Jon Lightner (CGA) 6-0, 6-1
- 5. Jonathan Sokolsky (Conn.) def. Alex Mead (CGA) 6-2, 6-0
- 6. Will Tucker (Conn.) def. Bruce Kim (CGA) 6-1, 6-3
- 1. Guentert/Fortna (CGA) def. Deeter/Kraiger (Conn.) 8-6
- 2. Cangelosi/Subeby (Conn.) def. Mead/Renfrow (CGA) 9-7
- 3. Maffa/Butturini (Conn.) def. Kim/Lightner (CGA) 8-2