Bears Win Streak Snapped
WALTHAM, MASS.--(4/12/12)--Coast Guard saw its three match winning streak come to an end with an 8-1 loss at #24 Brandeis in a match moved indoors due to rain.
Coast Guard drops to 7-3 on the season.
Seniors Greg Mitchell and Nick Martin got the only point for the Bears with an 8-5 win at #1 doubles.
Brandeis jumped out to a quick lead in all three of the doubles. On the #1 court Martin and Mitchell found themselves down a break early, 1-2 to junior Josh Jordan and freshman Alec Siegel. At #2, junior Blake Maurer and sophomore Josh Fischer trailed senior Ezra Bernstein and junior Dave Yovanoff, 0-3, and on court #3 it was senior Matt Faha and freshman Jon Lightner falling behind 1-4 to the freshman pairing of Ben Fine and Michael Secular.
Brandeis continued to play aggressively on all three courts swarming the net. They took the #2 doubles 8-5 and the #3 doubles 8-2. But on the #1 court Martin and Mitchell had broken back to take the lead 3-2. They held on for 4-3, then 5-4, and then 6-5 before closing out the set to win 8-5.
Brandeis has three indoor courts, so following the doubles, #1, #2, and #3 singles took the courts. All three singles matches were dog fights. On court #1 Mitchell took a close first set from Jordan 7-6(2). Martin, on court #3, took his first set, 6-2, over Siegel. Fischer, however, struggled to get started on court #2. He dropped his first set against Yovanoff, 6-2.
In the second set Jordan came back to win 6-3 over Mitchell on court #1 and Siegel bested Martin, 6-2 on court #3, but on court #2, it was Fischer who found his form and fought back to take the second set from Yovanoff, 6-4. All three singles were now heading to a third set.
Brandeis would take all three final sets, but it continued to be a battle. Yovanoff won the third set on court #2, 6-3. But Mitchell and Martin each forced tiebreakers. Mitchell, who had held a 4-1lead in the set, lost the tiebreaker 7-6(3). Martin faced match point three times in his tiebreaker. He held a match point at 8-7. Siegel finally got it at 11-9.
Four hours after the dual match began, the #4, #5, and #6 singles were just taking the courts.
Brandeis 8, Coast Guard 1
1. Josh Jordan (BRMTEN) def. Greg Mitchell (CGA) 6-7 (2-7), 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
2. David Yovanoff (BRMTEN) def. Josh Fischer (CGA) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
3. Alec Siegel (BRMTEN) def. Nick Martin (CGA) 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 (11-9)
4. Ezra Bernstein (BRMTEN) def. Blake Maurer (CGA) 7-6 (7-0), 6-3
5. Michael Secular (BRMTEN) def. Matt Faha (CGA) 6-0, 6-1
6. Adam Brown (BRMTEN) def. John Lightner (CGA) 6-2, 6-2
1. Nick Martin/Greg Mitchell (CGA) def. Josh Jordan/Alec Siegel (BRMTEN) 8-5
2. Ezra Bernstein/David Yovanoff (BRMTEN) def. Josh Fischer/Blake Maurer (CGA) 8-5
3. Ben Fine/Michael Secular (BRMTEN) def. Matt Faha/John Lightner (CGA) 8-2