Bears Beat Johnson & Wales 6-3
NEW LONDON, CONN.--(3/27/12)--Coast Guard won all three doubles matches en route to a 6-3 win over Johnson & Wales in a non-conference match.
Greg Mitchell and Nick Martin won 8-4 at #1 singles, Blake Maurer and Josh Fischer won 8-0 at #2 singles while Matt Faha and Jon Lightner also won 8-0 at #3 doubles to start the day.
Faha, playing at #1 singles and Lightner, playing #2 singles for the first time in their careers both posted wins. Faha won 6-4, 7-5 while Lightner won 6-3, 6-3.
Also winning for the Bears was Andrew Bryson 7-6, 6-0 at #6 singles.
The Bears improved to 5-1 on the season and will open New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) play on Saturday when the Bears host MIT.
1. Greg Mitchell/Nick Martin (CGA) def. Mars Wala/James Adriano, 8-4
2. Blake Maurer/Josh Fischer (CGA) def. Ian Huxel/Jacob Wanner, 8-0
3. Matt Faha/Jon Lightner (CGA) def. Todd Zimmerman/Drew Piontillo, 8-0
1. Matt Faha (CGA) def. Mars Wala (J&W) 6-4, 7-5
2. Jon Lightner (CGA) def. James Adriano (J&W) 6-3, 6-3
3. Ian Huxel (J&W) def. Joe Sullivan-Springhetti (CGA) 6-3, 7-5
4. Drew Pontillo (J&W) def. Erik Oredson (CGA) 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
5. Jake McGuire (J&W) def. Amanda Robinson (CGA) 6-1, 6-4
6. Andrew Bryson (CGA) def. Matt Glaser (J&W) 7-6(1), 6-0