Clark Rallies to Beat Bears
CAMBRIDGE, MASS.--(4/28/12)--Trailing 3-2, No. 3 seed Clark University battled back to defeat No. 2 U.S. Coast Guard Academy, 5-4, in the second semifinal match of the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Men's Tennis Championship Tournament on Saturday afternoon.
With the win, the Cougars (15-3) advanced to their first conference title match where they will face top-seeded and host MIT on Sunday, April 29 at 1:00 p.m. The Bears, meanwhile, saw their season end with a record of 11-7.
In No. 1 doubles action, Coast Guard's senior tandem of Greg Mitchell and Nick Martin battled junior Diego Angel and sophomore Dan Stein for a 9-7 victory. The Bears earned their second point when junior Blake Maurer and sophomore Josh Fischer defeated freshmen Zack Goodstein and Josh Burger, 8-4, in the No. 2 spot. Clark prevented the sweep when juniors Dan Hall and Phillip Porter fought off senior Matt Faha and freshman Andrew Bryson, 9-8 (4).
Early in singles play, Martin topped Goodstein, 6-0, 6-1, in the No. 3 position while Clark junior Dan Paradee defeated Faha by the same score in the No. 5 spot.
Stein earned another point for the Cougars with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Fischer in the second slot as Maurer kept the Bears in front courtesy of a 7-5, 6-3 decision over Burger in the No. 4 position.
Angel evened the match at four-all by defeating Mitchell, 7-6 (5), 6-2, in the top spot right before freshman Joel Simonson recorded a come-from-behind 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 win over freshman Jon Lightner in the No. 6 slot to clinch the match for Clark.
1. Diego Angel (CLK) def. Greg Mitchell (CGA) 7-6(4), 6-2
2. Dan Stein (CLK) def. Josh Fischer (CGA) 6-3, 6-4
3. Nick Martin (CGA) def. Zach Goodstein (CLK) 6-0, 6-1
4. Blake Maurer (CGA) def. Josh Burger (CLK) 7-5, 6-3
5. Dan Paradee (CLK) def. Matt Faha (CGA) 6-0, 6-1
6. Joel Simonson (CLK) def. Jon Lightner (CGA) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. Nick Martin/Greg Mitchell (CGA) def. Diego Angel/Zach Goodstein (CLK) 9-7
2. Josh Fischer/Blake Maurer (CGA) def. Dan Stein/Josh Burger (CLK) 8-4
3. Dan Hall/Phillip Porter (CLK) def. Matt Faha/Andrew Bryson (CGA). 9-8(3)