Men's Soccer Ties Wheaton; Stays Unbeaten in NEWMAC

Men's Soccer Ties Wheaton; Stays Unbeaten in NEWMAC

New London, Ct. – Coast Guard freshman Richard Davies scored the game-tying goal in the 64th minute as Coast Guard and Wheaton College settled for a 1-1 tie in NEWMAC conference play.

With the result, the Bears now stand at 7-3-1 overall and remain an unbeaten 3-0-1 in conference play, while Wheaton goes to 6-4-2 overall on the season and 1-1-2 in the NEWMAC.

The teams exchanged excellent scoring opportunities early in the first half. In the 8th minute, Wheaton sophomore Luke Finkelstein fed a pass past Coast Guard defenders to the foot of classmate Travis Blair. Blair took one touch and rocketed a shot from eight yards out that was blocked by Bears keeper, Richie Burns, diving to his right.

Coast Guard answered back just five minutes later when senior co-captain Greg Kennerley sent a free kick into the box. After a brief skirmish for the ball, freshman Lukas Benedetto ripped a shot that forced Lyons goalie Matt Dickey to make a diving stop of his own.

Wheaton freshman forward Kevin Gil broke the scoreless tie with his fifth goal of the season when he took advantage of a turnover from the Bears back-line. Gil intercepted a pass just outside of the 18-yard box and buried a shot into the top right corner, past a diving Burns in the 36th minute. The goal was the first that Burns has allowed in the last 392 minutes of play.

In the second half, the scoring chances continued but neither team could convert until Davies was able to find the back of the net after receiving a pass from sophomore Matt Bogdan off a free kick. The goal was Davies' second of the season, while Bogdan added his team-high fifth assist.

Throughout the first overtime period, Coast Guard dominated possession and kept Dickey busy with some great scoring chances, but the freshman keeper came up big for the Lyons. In the 96th minute, junior John Rendon sent a cross through the box to classmate Robert Copeland who was only able to get a piece of the ball, allowing Dickey to make another diving save sending the ball out of bounds.

In the second overtime, the Bears kept the pressure on and forced the Lyons keeper to make two game-saving stops to preserve the 1-1 tie. With five minutes left in the game, Benedetto took a shot from ten yards out that was blocked by a waving right arm of Dickey. Just one minute later, Coast Guard junior Joe Bodzewski had an attempt from the right side of the box that Dickey was able to get a piece of and bounced off the post.

Wheaton will return to action tomorrow as they travel to Husson College. The Bears will host Albertus Magnus at 7:00pm on Wednesday, October 10th.

Post-Game Comments from Head Coach Chris Parsons

Post-game comments from freshman Richie Davies

Bears Win ECAC Championship
November 11, 2012 Bears Win ECAC Championship
Curry Blanks Men's Soccer
September 19, 2012 Curry Blanks Men's Soccer